Pay attention when you are driving
We know you really do know everything about driving safely! You’ve heard it from your parents, your teachers and maybe even your friends…but here are a few reminders:
Pay attention 100% of the time.
- Your car or someone else’s car can spin out of control in just seconds.
Know how to be a safe driver
- Don’t talk or text on your phone, eat, change music on your iPod or read directions while driving.
- Don’t drink alcohol and drive.
- Know and obey the speed limit.
- Always wear a seat belt.
- Know your limits and don’t drive when you’re too tired.
Make sure your parents know your plans and whom you’ll be driving or riding along with.
Know what to do in a risky driving situation, such as a crash, bad weather or other unexpected event.
Know what the punishment will be if you violate the law or your parent’s rules.
Know the consequences of what will happen if you break the law in Virginia as a driver under 18 years of age.
- First violation: attend a driver improvement clinic within 90 days or have your license suspended until the clinic is completed.
- Second violation: license will be suspended for 90 days.
- Third violation: license revoked for 1 year or until you turn 18 (whichever is longer).
- If you drink and drive, underage penalties apply and your license will be suspended for a year and you will be fined no less than $500 or required to complete 50 hours of community service.
- There are long-term consequences to breaking driving laws in Virginia, including:
- Driving infractions related to underage drinking and driving stay on your driving record for 3 years.
- Driving infractions related to speeding stay on your driving record for 5 years.
- Passenger restriction and curfew violations stay on your driving record for 3 years.
Most Dangerous Distractions
Based on 2010 survey of perceptions by VA teens about driver safety:
“Driver Safety Study”, APCO Insight June 2010. 750 paired interviews with teen drivers aged 15-18 and one parent. Survey completed between
May 18 - May 26, 2010.